Mass Poor People's Assembly and Moral March on Washington
WhenSaturday, 20th June 2020 to Sunday, 21st June 2020
WherePoor People's Campaign , Washington, D.C., United States
The Mass Poor People’s Assembly and Moral March on Washington is now going digital! People will gather from all 50 U.S. states and territories, and from across the world.
The 2 hour program will be broadcast on Saturday, June 20th at 10:00am EST and 6:00pm EST and again on Sunday, June 21st at 6:00pm EST. Visit June2020.org to tune in.
This will be the largest digital gathering of poor, dispossessed and impacted people, faith leaders, and people of conscience on June 20, 2020.
"The increasing urgency of a broad movement led by the poor and most impacted is more apparent every day. Now is the time to organize towards collective action to enact a moral agenda for the nation. As our ranks grow in the coming months due to COVID-19 and the ongoing crisis of poverty, building a platform for the plight, fight, and insight of the poor is even more urgent. The movement is marshalling our collective voices to demonstrate the power of our communities. We demand that both major political parties address the interlocking injustices of systemic racism, poverty, ecological devastation, militarism and the distorted moral narrative of religious nationalism by implementing our Moral Agenda."
A National Call for Moral Revival
In June 2019, the Poor People's Campaign convened over 1,000 community leaders in Washington, D.C. for the Poor People’s Moral Action Congress, which included the largest presidential candidates’ forum of the pre-debate season, the release of their Poor People’s Moral Budget, and a hearing before the House Budget Committee on the issues facing the 140 million poor and low-income people in the nation. Over the next nine months, they are embarking on a 25-state We Must Do M.O.R.E. Tour (Mobilize, Organize, Register, and Educate), which will lead toward an unprecedented Mass Poor People’s Assembly and Moral March on Washington on June 20, 2020.
In the summer of 2020, this movement will demonstrate the power of poor people to be agents of change in not just one election, but at the very heart of US democracy. In this time of significant danger and real possibility, a moral fusion movement is necessary to revive and advance the most precious constitutional and moral values. But this can only happen if those who are impacted link up with other moral leaders and people of conscience to break through the silos of their work and the divisions that have been wrought in their communities.
They rise together because:
- They rise to demand that the 140 million poor and low-wealth people in our nation — from every race, creed, color, sexuality and place — are no longer ignored, dismissed or pushed to the margins of our political and social agenda.
- They rise not as left or right, Democrat or Republican, but as a moral fusion movement to build power, build moral activism, build voter participation, and we won’t be silent any more!
- They rise to change the moral narrative and demand that the interlocking injustices of systemic racism, poverty, ecological devastation, the war economy/militarism and the distorted moral narrative of religious nationalism all be ended.
- They rise to challenge the lie of scarcity in the midst of abundance.
- They rise to lift the voices and faces of poor and low-wealth Americans and their moral allies with a new vision of love, justice, and truth for America that says poverty can be abolished and change can come.
If you believe it’s time to rise, join them!
www.june2020.org to let us know you will join us on June 20, 2020.
Spread the word in your networks and social media.
If you're in the United States, get connected to your state’s coordinating committee.